Make the most of your home workouts by supporting the mental health of first responders in your community. OutWORK COVID Run, Walk or Ride allows you to workout from home—like running on the treadmill or outside, biking uphill or in front of your favourite show, or jumping rope in your basement or in your backward. Then, track your progress while raising awareness and support for first responders mental health while they fight COVID-19 on the frontline.
Funds raised through this virtual event will go to OSI-CAN, a Canadian community-based peer support project designed to assist military, first responders and public safety personnel through conscious connections and group support. In partnership with the Canadian Mental Health Association, OSI-CAN inspires hope and contributes to the continuous well-being and recovery process of first responders. They seek to empower and encourage everyone to strive for recovery through peer and professional support while creating greater public awareness of mental illness and mental health concerns throughout the communities they serve.
Run once, twice, or as often as you want! Racers will have from April 20, 2020 to July 13, 2020 to participate and help OutWORK COVID for First Responder’s Mental Health.
Race Day: April 20-July 13, 2020 (once, twice, or as often as you want)
Event: Run, Bike, Walk
Distance: YOUR CHOICE!
RUN: 5k, 10k, 21.1k, 42.2k
BIKE: 25k, 50k, 100k, 150k
Time: Early AM thru LATE PM
Start/Finish Area: Your house
Course Type: Your favourite workout space, road or trail
Stroller Friendly: Sure!
Travel: We recommend staying home and following all local public health recommendations. Stay six feet away from others and ensure you are practicing physical distancing.
You have two options when registering:
Register for free and receive a virtual race bib to print out and use for your event. Complete your race, post your results, and then receive your virtual medal. Oh – and don’t forget you can fundraise and raise awareness for first responder’s mental health.
Pay a registration fee of $40. 50% of the fee will go to the Canadian Mental Health Association to support OSI-CAN, a community-based mental health project supporting the mental health of first responders. The remainder of the fee provides you with an official finisher medal that will be mailed out at the end of the virtual race. You will also receive a virtual race kit with access to articles from world class coaches and some amazing promotions by our partners– everything you’ll need to keep you fired up to OutWORK COVID!
Show your support of our first responders and frontline workers by raising money for the Canadian Mental Health Association to support the OSI-CAN project.. Once you register, you will be automatically be setup with a fundraising page.
We have some amazing incentive prizes available. Whether it’s a return of your race entry, or access to great gift cards from local retailers, options available at all levels!
3. YOUR RACE DAY(s).
Here’s a few tips to prepare for your event
1. Plan your route. Whether it’s a 5k walk or 100k bike, you’ll want to ensure that you have your music playlist ready, your fluids at your side and knowing that the distance you have in mind ACTUALLY shows up on your fitness app!
2. It may feel like any training day, but get in the right mindset to put your best foot/pedal forward! Don’t let the basics slip – get lots of sleep, proper pre-race nutrition, hydrate and keep yourself fueled up for your event
3. Ensure you understande your tracking app! We suggest using RunKeper, but there’s a plethora available. Use what you know.
4. Charge Your phone! Make sure your phone is fully charged before your start. You don’t want to be near the finishline and have your phone go dead, losing all that hard work you’re wanting to show off.
5. Race and enjoy yourself! At the end of the day, we ride, run, walk and more because we love these sports. Revel in those feelings and let them carry you across your finishline.
6. Post Your results. Simply snap a screenshot, picture of your watch, or use your activity tracker and upload it to the results page.
As we are hosting this event until July 13, why not keep your challenge going! Keep that fundraising open and try to surpass your last best time. Signed up for the 5k run? Run it 5 times! Try a different distance AND event! Dust off that bike and hit the road.
The more times you post updated results, the better you’ll feel AND we will be putting everyones names in for a few great prizes to be drawn at the completion of the virtual event.